Friday, April 22, 2011

Gotta grab what you love

      As a young child, we all have dreams of what we want to be. Whether that's a fireman, a baseball player, the US President, or maybe you just wanted to be He-Man? Who knows. That's on you. At what point as an adult do you give up on those dreams? When you're 30? When you have kids? Get married? That's a harrowing call that each individual has to make for themselves. Realizing a plan for your dream and moving towards that goal is something that doesn't always happen when you're in that College Academic advisors office. Sometimes it takes a life full of lessons, last calls, and speeches about your "potential" before you get your act right.
     I myself am not a quick learner of life. It has taken me time. Hello my name is Ashby and I have a retarded amount of sports potential. I HAVE to work in sports! I just have to. I "interned" for 4 weeks last summer as the guy who broke down offense and defense film at a JUCO college (Mesa Community College) for a head coach who coached for 11 years in the NFL!!! (Side Note: It was limited to 4 weeks because Head Coach Hargrave was fired for embezzlement). At the beginning, I had a brief meeting with the OC while my boy Nick, a future FB for Mesa, talked with some other players. I used those stupid hours of Sportscenter and NFL Network to break down his playbook! He was dutifully impressed, got me the meeting with Coach Hargrave, and a man who coached 11 yrs in the NFL decided I had enough potential in my football knowledge to teach me how to break down film. NFL style! It was freakin glorious!!!! And while it truly sucks Hargrave embezzled and got his whole staff fired, yes even the volunteers, it was an experience that millions of NFL fans would DIE FOR!!!!! A validation. That my insane knowledge has a purpose...its just about finding it.
     But I truly believe my professional knowledge is not limited to football. That may sound conceded but its not. It's just not.  Anyone who ever asked me to break down a box and 1, the infield shifts in every situation, or the Tampa 2! These innate abilities (passed down by my Granddaddy) are providing me another avenue for "The Dream". Jason, a friend of mine, is an Atlanta Braves Scout who is coming into Phoenix this weekend from the LA area. I had very preliminary discussions last weekend concerning possible scouting employment. I met Jason two yrs ago and while he has been appreciative of my love of the great American Pastime, He had to finish being an associate scout before anything could really go down. This is his 3rd yr being a scout and next yr he will have his own associate scouts at his disposal. He thought of me. From April 22-24, he will be in Phx. I will schmooze, impress with my knowledge, and hopefully convince him of my scouting potential. He doesn't have the final word. But he has A word in the decision. The dream is alive!!! My passion is feasible. Those hundreds of hours are for a reason. A capitalistic purpose! Making a passion profitable is how you show people. That's the REAL goal of facebook but that's for another blog.
     How do you show your father that even though he was SOOOOO worried about your obsession that it can be profitable. You show him knowledge gained from reading the sports page front to back at the age of 6 is not a bad thing. And while I LOVE that you made me read the ENTIRE newspaper everyday from the age of 6, if I wanted to continue to get that sports page, I know you don't have to be scared of my addiction. It CAN be profitable! I KNOW i will get to that "sports dream"! For me, its not an "if" but a "when".
     I implore you to reach for whatever it is you love. It is NEVER too late. Money is not the end. Just a part of the means. Imagine being happy to go to work. Being disappointed on Sat and Sun that you don't have work. Imagine living out a childhood fantasy. Imagine growing up to be He-Man and getting paid for it! Just Imagine.

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one
-John Lennon

1 comment:

  1. I usually have some rant (as do you) to post on any subject involving my favorite passtime- Sports in mass consumption- but on this subject I will leave just one quote that I truly believe in my soul.

    " Passion is a powerful force that cannot be stopped." Moliere

    ReplyDelete