Thursday, May 12, 2011

Ah — Playoffs? Don’t talk about — playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs?

Yes, Jim Mora, the Playoffs. We are deep into the "Playoff season" as this time of year should be called. The only time of year when two major sports simultaneously hold their postseasons. But I don't really care about the NHL so I'm just gonna talk about the NBA.

-So Lebron and Lebronettes got past the team from The Massachusetts Home for the Elderly. The Celtics were like that old guy calling you a whippersnapper, still thinking he can take you. Uhhh sorry gramps. Time for KG, The Big Aristotle and Jesus Shuttlesworth to ride off into the sunset. Please don't be Jordan, please don't Willie Mays, Please don't be Ali. Just go and we will applaud you.

-While this may be a goodbye for those Celtics, and as much as it pains me to say this...it may be a coronation for The King and his subjects. The Heat are rollin. They got it together about 2/3 into the season and with Bron and DWade clicking, they will be VERY hard to stop. Paging DRose...Paging DRose....Please help us. Please stop this. Stop the idea that stars can form their own teams. Make scouting and the draft relevant. Don't let this league turn into 4 or 5 mega teams where All Stars are the defacto GM's. Pat Riley just won Executive of the Year but shouldn't that award really go to Lebron for his "Decision"? To paraphrase Leia, "Help us DRose, you're our only hope"

-This brings me to my appreciation of a few NBA talents. I typically watch a lot more ball in the playoffs than during the regular season. In watching the playoffs, its always easier to appreciate great talent being dominant  against great talent. News flash...Derrick Rose is really good. In case that MVP award didn't do it for ya. This isn't about numbers though he definitely puts them up. I've seen point guards as fast (Tony Parker) and as strong (Derrick Williams) but not the combination that Rose brings when he drives his lane. Yes, it is his lane. It just looks really easy for him. And he is only 22. Memo to Lebron: You better get your title while you can, if you can. In looking out West, I see a whole lot of smoothness going on in Big D. Obviously, I have appreciated Dirks game since that gangly German rewrote the book on 7 footers back in 98'. His game is just nasty. You just never expect him to miss. I'm not gonna go the Coach Carlisle route and proclaim him Top 10 All Time (win a title first) but I'm confident he is a top 15-20 player. Now if you want SILKY smooth, i mean really really smooth, then look no further than Jason Terry. There is no other way to describe him. He floats. Full speed always but always another gear. Never out of control. Waiting to attack. Watching Jason Terry play is like watching a Great White nibble at its prey. Three pointer here. Finger roll there. Next thing you know, you might have escaped but you lost your damn leg! And by escaped, I mean you got an early vacation this summer. Have fun, Kobe.

-I guess I could talk NHL Playoffs. How Tampa Bay has been a star killer (Hello Crosby. Hello Ovechkin. Where ya at?), How i think we're gonna have an Original Six Stanley Cup Finals (if ya don't know, educate yourself and look it up), or how if Detroit wins Game 7 then they will become the only team outside of the 2004 Red Sox to come back from being down 0-3 in a best of 7. But since I don't know hockey, I don't wanna embarrass myself by talking about a sport that NCAA Women's Basketball beats in the Nielsen Ratings. Seriously people.

Im Jus Sayin

No comments:

Post a Comment