Thursday, February 24, 2011

Gay Marriage: Yay or Nay

     Pres. Obama's administration will no longer defend a law that bans federal recognition of same-sex marriage. This is a major reversal that definitely reinvigorates a national debate over gay rights. He has decided to keep his henchman, AG Eric Holder, in his pocket. And this move opens up an opportunity to various states in enforcing their state passed gay marriage laws. Now I find myself in an odd position as this is one topic I don't agree with Republicans on.
     Basically this comes down to Religious rights vs Human rights. People who do not believe in gay marriage usually do so with the reasoning that God says man should only marry woman. I am not here to argue with bible thumpers, I am hear to point out human rights and the rights of Americans. I should not have any more rights than any non-felon tax paying American citizen who happens to be gay. America always corrects itself concerning its citizens' rights. Whether its Womens' Suffrage or the Civil Rights movement, America eventually realizes when it is oppressing its own citizens. Why can't gays get the tax breaks afforded to married people? What about the emotional rights that we take for granted as straight people? Let's say someone is dying. They have a lifelong significant other who is not allowed by the deathbed because they are not next of kin. They are the next of kin, but the Government hasn't progressed enough to realize it. There is no justice in that.
     I just have a real problem with having more rights than any other American!!!!. I personally hold the rights that Americans have, how we have created and kept them, and our continuous fight for equality the world over to a higher standard than any reasoning from the Bible. I can see on a daily basis how beautiful it is to be an American and no verse will keep me from believing in the morals of America. Our country is great but it could become greater.

I'm Just Sayin
 

2 comments:

  1. I agree 100%. It has never seemed right to me that homosexuals aren't afforded the same rights as heterosexuals. A neat thing happened in my life: my dad's best friend had a pretty strong anti-gay stance for years. Then one day his daughter professed to him that she was gay. It changed his world. When someone you know suffers inequalities, it puts them in a different light pretty quickly. He now supports gay rights. A pretty cool metamorphosis in my eyes.

    The only issue I have with your blog today is the statement "now I find myself in an odd position as this is something I don't agree with republicans on." I can't stand how lines are drawn and you have to pick one side or the other when it comes to politics. You shouldn't feel odd with disagreeing with the party you feel most strongly about. The beauty of politics should be that we feel strongly for one side in general but have the sense enough not to agree with everything. I think that's how most of us are, but when you become a politician, you have to firmly believe in "your side" or your voters who cover a broad range of ideals lose confidence in you. It's the buying of votes method of politics that makes me sick to my stomach.

    Great blog today. More people should lose their hatred towards people who don't think like them. I attended a gay "commitment ceremony" 2 years ago for two women that mean a lot to me. In VA they weren't allowed to be married, but they wanted to prove their love and commitment to each other. It was a beautiful ceremony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Separation of church and state, the only government involvement in a "marriage" should be to certify that it is a civil union between two people. If a church/religion wants to limit who can be married in their church/under their religion, so be it, who gives a flip.

    Its always comical to me that the GOP's party line is for freedom and less government intrusion, but it seems that this is only reserved for financial freedoms rather than personal freedoms. Guess they have to keep the evangelicals happy!

    ReplyDelete